Members of the Student Association of the Faculty of Education (SAFE) from the International Burch University visited Zenica and some of its important cultural and historic buildings on March 21.
Students visited the Church of the Holy Mother of God, the church of St. Joseph, the Sultan Ahmed and Seymen mosques, the Sinagogue, the Bosnian National Theater, and the Museum of Zenica. Students learned a lot of new things about the history of these beautiful monuments.
The Church of the Holy Mother of God was built and blessed in 1884 with the help of metropolit Savo Kosanović. On the church walls, a tribute panel was placed in memory of victims of the Serbian orthodox church municipality in Zenica during World War II. The church was declared a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The district of St. Joseph is one of the 5 catholic districts in Zenica, placed on the left side of the Bosnia river in the southwest part of the spacious valley of Zenica. It is a special district because it includes a big part of the city as well as 6 nearby villages. It was founded in 1935 and soon after that, in 1939, the church was built on the walls of the former church from 1870.
The Sultan Ahmed mosque was built in the 16th century on the base of an older mosque of the same name. It is assumed that it is the oldest mosque in the city. The Seymen mosque was built before 1506. The oldest written document of this mosque was written on a stone slab in Turkish language. These mosques had very important educational and cultural functions so a lot was invested in their maintenance. The Sultan Ahmed mosque aswell as the Seymen mosque were declared national monuments.
The Bosnian National Theater (BNP) of Zenica was founded in the first half of the year 1950. Besides the theatrical programs, BNP has hosted a number of cultural and entertainmet programs and manifestations, which are important for the entire cultural aspect of life in Zenica, the Zenica-Doboj canton etc.During the 60 year existence, BNP Zenica has grown into the most significant art institution in the central area of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Through its artistic activities, BNP Zenica has become the center of not only the theatrical, but the overall artistic and cultural life.
The Sinagogue of Zenica was built in the period from 1903 to 1905. The projector was engineer Miloš Komadina who finished his education in Zurich and Vienna. From 1945 to 1967 the Sinagogue was used in many ways. It was used as a warehouse or as a furniture salon. During 1967, the first historical and ethnological exhibit of the Museum of Zenica was opened in the Sinagogue. The Museum of Zenica is planning activities so that one of the rare preserved sacred Jewish temples of Bosnia and Herzegovina is declared a national monument.
The Museum of Zenica is a public institution founded in 1966 and the founder was the Municipality of Zenica. During the war (1992-1995), the Museum of Zeinca lost 3 buildings and the majority of the materials were stored in badly conditioned storages throughout the city. The Museum of Zenica is active in the new building since September 2007.
Prepared by Alesandro Tomić